Opened 11 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#323 closed Bug / Defect (fixed)

http://openvpn.net/faq.html#dhcpclientserv not working anymore

Reported by: hildeb Owned by: Samuli Seppänen
Priority: minor Milestone: release 2.3.9
Component: Documentation Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: website
Cc:

Description

When the initialization sequence fails, the last line of the log says:

Thu Aug 22 16:07:44 2013 Initialization Sequence Completed With Errors ( see http://openvpn.net/faq.html#dhcpclientserv )

That link isn't really working as it should. It should point to
http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/faq/community-software-client/259-tap-win32-adapter-is-not-coming-up-qinitialization-sequence-completed-with-errorsq.html
now

Change History (9)

comment:1 Changed 11 years ago by JoshC

Owner: set to JoshC

This URL should get updated if error messages will reference users to it.

I'll discuss with some of the development team what the best way to handle such 'FAQ' style URL links in a more stable way than relying on a possibly changing CMS/wiki link first to prevent future changes from causing this issue all over again.

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

We'd definitely need more static links to our most important resources. Unfortunately little thought was given to this when the CMS-managed openvpn.net was first setup, so most links to openvpn.net simply broke. This was especially the case with dynamically generated articles like FAQs and such.

I welcome any suggestions on how to make the situation less crappy :).

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Keywords: website added
Version: 2.3.2

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: changed from JoshC to Samuli Seppänen

Even with a CMS in place, having a *few* static files is just a matter of getting Apache config right (have Aliases for things like /faq.html before the CMS grabs the rest)...

I think that's what we really should do.

If it cannot be done, then we should find a short(!) URL on community.openvpn.net and update all references in the code to point there. But the long URL given by the original reporter is madness (... and not likely to stay stable either).

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

The FAQ articles have been migrated to this Trac instance. I hope we can nuke the old openvpn.net site before the end of the year and replace it with a new one. All the redirects from current openvpn.net to Trac are in place but not activated.

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

comment:8 Changed 8 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Milestone: release 2.3.9

I have no clue what FAQ#dhcpclientserv contained, so I have to trust hildeb on this. I prettified the URL a bit by renaming the page:

We can add fix the URL in 2.3.9 as discussed in the meeting on 23rd Nov 2015.

comment:9 Changed 8 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Resolution: fixed

I added the #dhcpclientserv anchor to the current FAQ page. What this does is direct the browser to jump directly to the "TAP-Win32 adapter is not coming up" part of the FAQ. This is not a perfect fix: if the browser screen is large enough, the topmost FAQ entry might not align with the above article. This is still the best we can do, given that the FAQ is no longer a long, static page, but a list of links.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.