Opened 11 years ago

Closed 11 years ago

#324 closed Feature Wish (wontfix)

route with no gateway ip

Reported by: krzee king Owned by:
Priority: trivial Milestone:
Component: Networking Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

<mdev> the default gateway has no ip though
<mdev> default * 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 venet0

unable to redirect default gateway -- Cannot read current default gateway from system

the user is running an openvpn client in linux in openvz, and trying to redirect-gateway
since he legitimately has no gateway, and instead just sends traffic at the device, the fix is to add the routes with a device instead of a gateway.
I told him he can do this manually using --route-up as a workaround, but it could be cool to see openvpn detect when linux has no gateway and add the routes with device instead of ip of gateway.

Change History (3)

comment:1 Changed 11 years ago by Gert Döring

What version of OpenVPN is that? I think we've added something like that already to cover the case of a route pointing to "ppp0".

comment:2 Changed 11 years ago by krzee king

ppp0 actually has a gateway (just have to find it differently iirc), this doesn't.
pekster points out that mdev's openvz setup is broken:

[14:36] <pekster> http://wiki.openvz.org/Differences_between_venet_and_veth
[14:36] <vpnHelper> Title: Differences between venet and veth - OpenVZ Linux Containers Wiki (at wiki.openvz.org)
[14:36] <pekster> "CT should setup correct gateway, IP/netmask etc. and then a node admin can only choose where your traffic goes"
[14:37] <pekster> Reading that, I'm very tempted to say "no, OpenVPN will *not* support broken setups"
[14:37] <pekster> 0/0 is not a "correct gateway"

Closing the ticket:
Fixing this in openvpn would effectively be modding openvpn to support broken setups, which helps nobody. If we want to support everything that is broken it will never be possible ;)

comment:3 Changed 11 years ago by krzee king

Resolution: wontfix
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.