Opened 7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

#941 closed Bug / Defect (notabug)

Date format does not follow $LANG, making opensvn output hard to understand

Reported by: d.b Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN 2.1.0 / 2.1.1 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: date format
Cc:

Description

I just installed openvpn for the first time. After executing it for the first time, its output wrote several things informing me details. But the output shows date in USA date format!

I found no way to change that (maybe only changing source code, but that is not a solution).

I have copied lines from my terminal showing the output for two commands: "echo $LANG" and "sudo openvpn openvpn.config.txt". These lines are attached. I edited some information in these lines: my username, computer name, some VPN server information and a few IP numbers. Hopefully, nothing sensitive is still there now - please tell me!

I expected the date in the correct format for my location, which is Brasil. Or, a date in an *international* format like YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS and no weekday name.

Attachments (1)

openvpn.output.txt (4.7 KB) - added by d.b 7 years ago.
Output lines for the commands "echo $LANG" and "sudo openvpn"

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (2)

Changed 7 years ago by d.b

Attachment: openvpn.output.txt added

Output lines for the commands "echo $LANG" and "sudo openvpn"

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: notabug

What you describe is correct.

The date format will change towards a ISO standard format (there is a trac ticket for it which I'm too lazy to search for right now), but it will never respect local $LANG settings and change according to region.

The reason is fairly simple: log files are not localized at all - all messages stay in English, so the date format sticks to a standard format as well. Log files are mostly not for the benefit of users (that's what GUI is for, which is localized) but for sysadmins and developers - and we all share English as a common language.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.