Opened 10 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#449 closed Bug / Defect (notabug)

Fail to start openvpn-gui.exe due to liblzo2-2.dll dependency when not checked while installation

Reported by: mikhailSV Owned by: Samuli Seppänen
Priority: trivial Milestone: release 2.3.6
Component: Installation Version: OpenVPN 2.3.5 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: liblzo2-2.dll dependency
Cc:

Description

Fail to start openvpn-gui.exe with error requiring liblzo2-2.dll.
LZO has been unchecked during customizing installation.
Package: openvpn-install-2.3.4-I603-x86_64.exe

Change History (3)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

I believe OpenVPN should run without LZO provided LZO is disabled in the config file.

d12fk: does openvpn-gui.exe really depend on having lzo installed?

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Milestone: release 2.3.4release 2.3.6
Owner: set to Samuli Seppänen
Version: 2.3.42.3.5

I discussed this with d12fk and the problem is that OpenVPN Windows binaries have been linked with LZO, and OpenVPN will fail to start if lzo is not installed, even if lzo is disabled in the OpenVPN configuration file.

We decided to simply remove the option of not installing LZO from the NSIS installer, because it simply makes no sense.

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Priority: majortrivial
Resolution: notabug

Looking at the openvpn.nsi script in openvpn-build I decided to go for a "notabug". The rationale below:

• The title of the section ("Dependencies (Advanced)") cries out "Don't touch unless you know what you're doing."
  • The tooltip for LZO DLL section is also being very clear: "Install LZO DLLs locally (may be omitted if DLLs are already installed globally)."
  • Always installing LZO would require us to automatically install OpenSSL libraries and pkcs#11 helper, too. If we didn't, then the behavior of the installer would be inconsistent and confusing.
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.