Opened 10 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#445 closed Bug / Defect (fixed)

emails from this bugtracker get tagged as SPAM

Reported by: jhaar Owned by: Samuli Seppänen
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN 2.2.2 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc: samuli.seppanen@…

Description

Hi there

Just a FYI. We run SpamAssassin? and it doesn't like the emails generated by this trac system

They trigger rules based on email "poor practice". If you were to fix them, it would reduce the score and ensure such emails slide into people's networks easier :-)

1. you're using AWS, and incoming mail comes from ec2-54-241-178-103.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com - which screams a dynamic address and triggers "botnet" rules. If you could get Amazon to replace that with a proper PTR record (eg community.openvpn.net) that would be best
  2. The emails don't have a To: line. They should :-)

Change History (10)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Ah, interesting. I'll look into this. This could be an issue on our other servers as well.

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: set to Samuli Seppänen

*poke*

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Issue 1: I requested a reverse DNS record from Amazon. I will update this ticket with more info as it arrives.

Issue 2: I see the Trac notification email headers say

To: Undisclosed recipients:;

I suspect that this is because TracNotification adds email addresses to the BCC fields. There does not seem be any way to configure this behavior. However, even if real recipient could be added to the "To:" field, who would it be? The original reporter? The person the ticket is assigned to? If the lack of "To:" address causes real issues let me know.

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

There is now a PTR record for the IP of community.openvpn.net - does is seem to help? I don't want to take out the big guns (e.g. Amazon SES) unless I absolutely have to.

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by jhaar

That should help, but you still don't have a real "To:" line. It currently says "Undisclosed recipients:" - which I think is our mail server putting a value in because it didn't like not having one.

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

I don't think there is any (easy) way to get Trac to populate the "To:" field. We could easily set the CC field to something, but I don't think that would help in your case. I will do a bit more research and get back.

comment:7 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

I made Trac use Amazon SES, which was fortunately trivial. This move should further reduce the likehood of messages from Trac getting tagged as spam.

comment:8 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

comment:9 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Cc: samuli.seppanen@… added

comment:10 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Resolution: fixed

I added a CC to this ticket and the

To: Undisclosed recipients:;

is still there. The only way to get a real recipient to messages would be to hack the Trac core, which I'd prefer to avoid. I'll close this ticket as "resolved". If messages from Trac still get tagged as spam please reopen this ticket.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.