Opened 5 years ago

Closed 16 months ago

#1218 closed Bug / Defect (wontfix)

OpenVPN Android version 3.0.7.(3565) is not properly closing the session upon disconnecting from the server.

Reported by: jrbreunig Owned by: OpenVPN Inc.
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: OpenVPN Connect Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: OpenVPN Android version 3.0.7
Cc:

Description

I am using the OpenVPN software with a Netgear Orbi CBR40 cable modem/router. I am able to successfully establish a VPN session with the Netgear Orbi CBR40 cable modem/router using both the OpenVPN Windows app version 2.4.7 and the OpenVPN Android app version 3.0.7.(3565).

When disconnecting the VPN session, the OpenVPN Windows app properly tears down the connection. However, the OpenVPN Android app is not properly tearing down the connection when disconnecting through the app. When attempting to reconnect through the OpenVPN Android app, I am unable due to the previous connection that was not properly closed, and is still considered open according to the Netgear Orbi's attached devices on the setup page.

Therefore, when the OpenVPN Android app is disconnected, and the VPN tunnel is not active on my Android phone, the Orbi's setup page still shows the connection. The only way to terminate the VPN session established by the OpenVPN Android app is to reboot the Netgear Orbi cable modem/router. Then I am able to successfully reconnect.

Again, the OpenVPN Windows app works perfectly. This issue is only with the OpenVPN Android app.

Thank you!
Joe

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 5 years ago by David Sommerseth

Can you please try to add the explicit-exit-notify option to your client configuration profile and see if that improves the situation?

comment:2 Changed 5 years ago by novaflash

As an additional thing to try, I would suggest disconnecting this phone from the Internet using the airplane mode function.

If after a couple of minutes, your server STILL sees this client as connected, then it's not a problem caused on the client side, but more likely a very strange setting on the server side, perhaps trying to consider a session 'alive' for an excessively long amount of time.

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by krzee king

I agree with both comments above, but I am curious to know if your server is using the keepalive setting. It should notice the client is not connected after a short period of time according to your --keepalive setting. Could you share your server config if the above suggestions dont fix your problem?

Last edited 5 years ago by krzee king (previous) (diff)

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: changed from yuriy to denys

comment:5 Changed 3 years ago by Antonio Quartulli

Owner: changed from denys to OpenVPN Inc.

comment:6 Changed 16 months ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: wontfix

OpenVPN Inc does not want to receive any feedback for the "Connect"
OpenVPN clients via the community bug trackers (here and in GH issues).

Please resubmit - if still relevant - via https://support.openvpn.net/

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.