Opened 8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago

#663 closed Bug / Defect (fixed)

Debian packages : same {name,version,arch} but different content

Reported by: FlorentCoppint Owned by: Samuli Seppänen
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: Packaging Version: OpenVPN 2.3.10 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Hi,

I would like to report a problem with your Debian packaging system : package "openvpn" provided at swupdate.openvpn.net has same tuple {name,version,arch} (same filename) for Debian Jessie & Wheezy, but package content is different.

Debian documentation on repository format explicitly forbids duplicate packages with different content in one repository or in set of repositories for one distribution:

A repository must not include different packages (different content) with the same package name, version, and architecture. When a repository is meant to be used as a supplement to another repository this should hold for the joint main+supplement repository as well.

Your workaround was to set subdirectories in "pool" dir, but that's not the standard way to do.

You should, for example, set version to "2.3.10-debian7" for Wheezy and "-debian8" for Jessie, instead of "debian0" for both.

Do you think that's possible to fix that ?

This situation is causing problems when building custom repositories with Aptly for example.

Thank you.

Florent

Change History (5)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: set to Samuli Seppänen

comment:2 Changed 8 years ago by FlorentCoppint

By the way, if there is somewhere a git (or what-else) where I could try to fix it, I would be happy to contribute.

comment:3 Changed 8 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: changed from Samuli Seppänen to Samuli Seppänen

comment:4 Changed 8 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Actually I was not aware that this is a problem, so I definitely did not work around it :). Anyways, the repositories are managed using freight. If the subdirectories under pool are a problem, then you could help by fixing the problem in freight code.

OpenVPN packages, on the other hand, are built with sbuild_wrapper. The wrapper could definitely be modified to create packages with names like "wheezy0" or "jessie0" instead of "debian0". If you issue a pull request the problem probably gets fixed more quickly than if I have to do all the work :).

comment:5 Changed 8 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Resolution: fixed

This been fixed in the new apt repositories (see OpenvpnSoftwareRepos). I will add redirects from the old repository to the new one soon, and then this ticket can be closed.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.