id,summary,reporter,owner,description,type,status,priority,milestone,component,version,severity,resolution,keywords,cc 567,OpenVPN fails with no log output when config file is empty or (sometimes) has a non-whitespace syntax error,badon,,"If a functional OpenVPN config file has an error in the first parsed item on a line, and the error is not extra whitespace, then OpenVPN will fail without any log output, which normally should indicate the first occurring syntax error on a specific line. The same result (maybe a different bug) will also occur if the config file has only a single empty line. I have config files where this bug does NOT occur, but I'm not sure how they are getting around the code that triggers this bug. That may be a different bug, if somehow the syntax error is not being logged or not being detected. Those config files are a lot more complicated, but I think the simplest case with a config file that either has no content, or has only a single line with a single character is sufficient to reproduce this bug and fix it. It might be possible to isolate the bug where my other config files failed to log a syntax error, after this bug is fixed. Obviously, accurate log output will be helpful. I chose to give this report ""blocker"" priority, because it conceivably can prevent research of other bugs, due to lack of log information. For example, it took me more than a year to notice a single character error in the config file that triggers this bug, which prevented isolation and reporting of such a simple bug. The fact that other, more complex config files had the same error, but did NOT trigger the bug, made it more difficult to find the problem. If the problem weren't an obvious syntax error, I would never have found it, and I never would have been able to report this bug (and thus fixing it would have been ""blocked""). Tested with: OpenVPN 2.3.7 i686 (x64) Windows 7. My search for previous reports of this bug: https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&summary=~log&col=id&col=summary&order=priority Despite how simple this bug is, I was surprised there were no previous reports of it. I think the fact that it results in no log output is the sole reason why no one was able to report it.",Bug / Defect,closed,blocker,release 2.3.11,Generic / unclassified,OpenVPN 2.3.7 (Community Ed),"Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer)",fixed,,Samuli Seppänen Heiko Hund