Opened 9 years ago

Last modified 9 years ago

#513 new Feature Wish

Bonjour networking support

Reported by: goedtkindt Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Networking Version: OpenVPN git master branch (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: bonjour multicast volunteer
Cc:

Description

As an OpenVPN user I noticed that Bonjour networking (autoconf etc..) seems to be filtered out by the VPN server. OpenVPN servers on wifi routers do not seem to have an obvious option that allows multicast and bonjour networking to pass. This results in functionality loss such as access to bonjour enabled printers, time machine backups, AirPrint?, audio streaming.

Change History (2)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

Technically, we're not "filtering" it, we just "not handle" it - bonjour is link-local multicast stuff, which we have no code for handling yet (and it's not trivial to get right).

I agree it might be nice to have, but for the time being, some routers (especially running on OpenWRT) have mdns-proxy, which will make bonjour names visible in normal DNS - so that might be an alternative. It won't give you a nice browse list of services, but if you know the name of the service, it should be reachable...

(I'm open regarding the feature itself, so if someone comes up with a nice patch, chances are good that it could make git master - but I'm afraid none of the network core developers have enough time right now to make it happen)

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Keywords: bonjour multicast volunteer added; Bonjour Multicast Autoconf Time Machine Airplay Printing removed
Version: 2.2.2git master branch
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.