Opened 10 years ago

Last modified 9 years ago

#434 new Bug / Defect

Config file parser can't handle CR linefeeds

Reported by: Samuli Seppänen Owned by:
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN 2.3.4 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: volunteer
Cc:

Description

It seems the config file parser can only handle LF linefeeds and fails in mysterious ways if it encounters a CR:

Attachments (1)

server-21-v1.ovpn (257 bytes) - added by Joachim_Otahal 10 years ago.
Example of such an "CR only no LF" file

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (7)

Changed 10 years ago by Joachim_Otahal

Attachment: server-21-v1.ovpn added

Example of such an "CR only no LF" file

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by Joachim_Otahal

The symptom: OpenVPN reads the first 255 characters of the file and treats it as one line, therefore cuts it around the 255'th character and tries to interpret that line.
Which, of course, must fail.

Last edited 9 years ago by Joachim_Otahal (previous) (diff)

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by Gert Döring

yeah, it would be good to fix that. Just needing to find someone to work on it...

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by Joachim_Otahal

Another issue would be more pressing: TAP does not work on 2008 R2 x64 with any 2.3.x OpenVPN version here. It "seems" to work, but no ping. I had to switch back to 2.2.2 where it worked right "out of the box", using the same server-xx.ovpn config files and a 2.3.4 client.
I'll file a new bug if you want, but currently I have not enough time to continue digging around that TAP bug (i.e. no spare 2008 R2 box around), and the problematic openvpn server had to go live with a working version.

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Joachim_Otahal: the second issue should be in it's own bug report. However, you should try the latest OpenVPN installers (2.3.5-I602): there are plenty of tap-windows6 fixes in it.

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by Joachim_Otahal

samuli: TAP issue see bug https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/453#comment:12 which I opened ; ).
Whether someone will go on the "CR only" thing is a different topic.

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Keywords: volunteer added
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.