Opened 10 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#426 closed Bug / Defect (worksforme)

OpenVPN x64 version appears to cause slow Vuze loading

Reported by: highstream Owned by:
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN 2.3.4 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc: Heiko Hund

Description

Summary: With OpenVPN x64 installed and running first (connection to VPN server), Vuze loads very slowly, taking ~10-15 seconds to appear on screen and altogether about 60 seconds to load. Vuze is especially slow going through its early loading plugins. With x32 version, Vuze loads normally. OpenVPN 2.3.3 and 2.3.4, Vuze 5.2.0.0 and 5.3.0.0.

Details: When I want to run Vuze, I connect to a subscribed VPN server first (Win 8.1 Pro x64), using OpenVPN GUI, typically set to run as administrator. Since installing the x64 version of OpenVPN late last year, Vuze loaded very slowly. I thought it was something wrong with Vuze and posted on its forums, without anyone being able to confirm. Then for another reason I recently swtiched from the x64 to x32 version of OpenVPN and all of a sudden Vuze's loading time immediately returned to normal. Again for unrelated reasons, I mistakenly reinstalled the updated 64-bit version today, after which Vuze startup immediately crawled again. Going back to the 32 bit fixed it.

The one thing I should add is that both of these periods Vuze was having trouble, both OpenVPN versions were loaded on my computer - C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) - and the desktop GUI icon was running from the x64 version. As soon as I uninstalled the x64 version and reinstalled the x32 version, the problem ended.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by Gert Döring

Cc: Heiko Hund added

Whatever Vuze is...

Heiko, any idea? I have no complaints from my users as far as x32/x64 goes...

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by plaisthos

We need more information that than to reproduce the problem. For example which configuration does OpenVPN use? Also a wireshark/pcap dump from starting with the 32 bit and with the 64 bit version would be helpful.

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Vuze is a Bittorrent client. It is possible that installing a 64-bit OpenVPN on top of a 32-bit version could case odd issues. For example, the 64-bit installer might not clean up after the 32-bit installer properly.

My recommendation in this case would be to uninstall the installed OpenVPN version and then install the new one.

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Resolution: worksforme

Closing this ticket as "worksforme". If this persists please provide us with the exact steps for reproducing this issue.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.