Opened 10 years ago

Closed 9 years ago

#367 closed Bug / Defect (notabug)

LZO compression initialized message displays based on build, not config

Reported by: krzee king Owned by: Gert Döring
Priority: trivial Milestone: release 2.3.7
Component: Documentation Version: OpenVPN 2.3.2 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

"LZO compression initialized" gets displayed no matter what, even if you have comp-lzo no on both sides.
If all it means is "this build has lzo compiled in" then why not just leave it in --version and leave it out of the log?

I would expect to only see "LZO compression initialized" when compression is actually being initialized, and I think that is what would make sense.

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by krzee king

Summary: LZO compression initialized message displays based on built, not configLZO compression initialized message displays based on build, not config

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by krzee king

a possible suggestion if desired to keep the message, "Loading LZO library support" instead so its clear its just a marker in the code execution and not a note that lzo is active

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by Gert Döring

Milestone: release 2.3.5
Owner: set to Gert Döring

Looking into it for 2.3.5... As far as I remember, the message really only is logged when, well, the LZO library is initialized, which it only does if requested.

Actually, "comp-lzo no" is something different than "no comp-lzo in the config" - this is slightly arcane in 2.2 and 2.3, as "comp-lzo no" will put the client into adaptive mode, where it can be convinced by the server to turn on comp-lzo, while "no comp-lzo in the config" will mean "it is off, period".

Please re-try without "comp-lzo" in your config. That should make the message go away.

(And in 2.4, the whole compression stuff is different anyway, and somewhat under construction)

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Milestone: release 2.3.5release 2.3.6

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

Milestone: release 2.3.6release 2.3.7

comment:6 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: notabug

mandree poked me into testing this, and it is indeed as I said.

If you call openvpn *without* *any* --comp-lzo setting, it will not print the message.

If you call "openvpn --comp-lzo no", it *will* print "LZO compression initialized", but this is correct, as it will enable the LZO stub to handle incoming LZO packets, and not compress outgoing (or suchlike).

"--comp-lzo no" is notably different from "not configuring --comp-lzo" (which you can see with "--verb 5" in the options printed - lzo = 0, lzo = 1 and lzo = 7, whatever "7" means).

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.