id,summary,reporter,owner,description,type,status,priority,milestone,component,version,severity,resolution,keywords,cc 266,cannot install TAP driver on windows 7,edx,Samuli Seppänen,"I cannot install TAP driver version 9.9.2 on Windows 7 (64 bit machine). The problem is that installer cannot create network adapter - result is: --- C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin>rem Add a new TAP virtual ethernet adapter C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin>""C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\devcon.exe"" install ""C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemWf"" tap0901 Device node created. Install is complete when drivers are installed... Updating drivers for tap0901 from C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemWin2k.inf. devcon.exe failed. --- after investigation I discovered that this driver is to be installed with the Class-GUID={4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} the same as the VMNET1 driver of the VmWare workstation (version 9.0.0 build-812388) which I have also on my PC. Question is whether TAP driver can be delivered with installer that generates the GUID during the installation phase to avoid conflicts with installed base of the PC. Other question is it can be changed only in .inf file without touching .cat and .sys files. ",Bug / Defect,closed,minor,,tap-windows,OpenVPN 2.3.2 (Community Ed),"Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer)",worksforme,windows,