Opened 3 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

#1428 closed User question (worksforme)

Tap adapter currently in use

Reported by: gilvillamaterjr Owned by:
Priority: major Milestone: release 2.4
Component: tap-windows Version: OpenVPN 2.4.7 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

A colleague of mine is unable to connect to OpenVPN from her laptop. There's this error called "CreateFile? failed on TAP device". Tried using her credentials on my laptop and I was able to connect from my end.

What I noticed is that additional TAP adapters failed to general from her laptop, while mine isn't getting the same problem creating them.

Attachments (1)

jessica.sagarbarria.log (3.8 KB) - added by gilvillamaterjr 3 years ago.
OpenVPN log

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (5)

Changed 3 years ago by gilvillamaterjr

Attachment: jessica.sagarbarria.log added

OpenVPN log

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by tct

The error can also occur if the TAP-Adapter is disabled.

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by Gert Döring

Fri Sep 24 16:39:08 2021 OpenVPN 2.4.7 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [PKCS11] [AEAD] built on Apr 25 2019

2.4.7 is seriously antique, and quite a few bugs have been fixed after April 2019... some of them affecting windows install / TAP driver.

Please deinstall, and install 2.5.3 instead. This has a new installer which is much more robust towards TAP driver install errors.

(Please do not install 2.5.4 right now - the windows installer has quirks, which make 2.5.4 break for some installations. 2.5.5 will have these all fixed)

Now, if it still fails, and you're still on Windows 7, please make sure that all updates are installed. Unpatched old Win7 does not understand SHA2 signatures on drivers, so the install fails there.

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by tct

Is it possible to anonymise the name of the log file (or remove it) ?

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: worksforme

Since nothing ever happened here, and we are reasonably sure that 2.5.x works very well on all supported windows versions, I am now closing the ticket.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.