Opened 4 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

#1291 closed Bug / Defect (notabug)

OpenVPN Connect Version 3.1.1 Android

Reported by: _FBi Owned by: OpenVPN Inc.
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: OpenVPN Connect Version: OpenVPN Connect for Android v3.0.1
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: OpenVPN Connect Import URL
Cc:

Description

Specs:
Server, Community 2.4 x86_64
Client, Google Pixel 2 XL Android 10
OpenVPN Connect v3.1.1 (I selected v3.0.1 in the ticket, but it's 3.1.1)

Issue: Failed to import profile

How to recreate:
OpenVPN Connect -> Import Profile -> URL:
https://to.plzdonthack.us/vpn/inline.ovpn

Next

user:any
pass:any

IMPORT

"Failed to import profile
Selected file has incorrect profile configuration"

NOTES:
The same inline.ovpn file downloaded to the android device and imported from FILE instead of importing by URL works with OpenVPN Connect.

This is either a bug, only used for OpenVPN-AS, or has zero documentation I could find to configure correctly. Regardless, a little light shed on the issue would be great for everyone.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by novaflash

Please go to https://openvpn.net/support and submit a support ticket here in the appropriate section to report your bug. OpenVPN Connect is a business product.

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: changed from yuriy to denys

comment:3 Changed 3 years ago by OpenVPN Inc.

Owner: changed from denys to OpenVPN Inc.

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by OpenVPN Inc.

Resolution: notabug

Hello,

The open source bug tracking system here is not the correct place to report bugs regarding the commercial software OpenVPN Connect v3. The appropriate location to report issues with that software is on the official support ticket system at https://openvpn.net/support

I am just going through unhandled tickets on the community bug tracking system now. For future people searching about this issue here, I can state simply that this feature is not intended to be used in this way. It is intended to be used to import a profile from an API endpoint that exists on an OpenVPN Access Server or the OpenVPN Cloud systems. If there is no API endpoint, then the import will not succeed. It is not intended to import a plain text config file directly from some URL. I am sorry if that was not clear but then again we don't provide instructions to import from a file in our instructions on importing a profile from an Access Server or Cloud either. But I can see how it could be misconstrued as being possible to import in the way you describe. Given that a connection profile generally contains sensitive information I would question the wisdom of doing a straight import from the public Internet.

However, I have passed on this information to our OpenVPN Connect development team, and it's been logged as a possible future improvement. For now, simply download the file using a web browser, and then use import from file function to import it, that will work just fine.

Since no further action on this topic will be taken here on this community bug tracking system, I will mark it as "not a bug" and leave it in the hands of the OpenVPN Connect development team at OpenVPN Inc. to further look into this issue.

Kind regards,
Johan

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.