Opened 4 years ago

Last modified 4 years ago

#1250 new Bug / Defect

"Import file" fails to import critical files

Reported by: arencambre Owned by: Selva Nair
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: Windows GUI Version: OpenVPN 2.4.8 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Problem: When you import a new VPN connection using the Open file feature, OpenVPN fails to copy over needed files.

How to reproduce:
With Netgear routers, one may download a zip file that has the files necessary to allow OpenVPN to connect to the router's VPN service. More info is at https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-client.

If you unzip the contents of the zip file, you'll see these files:

• ca.crt
  • client.crt
  • client.key
  • client1.ovpn

The next step is to right-click on the OpenVPN systray icon and select Import file, navigate to the directory where the above four files are located, select client1.ovpn, then hit Open.

At that point, what should happen is OpenVPN should pull over that .ovpn file and other files necessary to make the VPN connection work. What actually happens is only the .ovpn file is copied over. One has to manually figure out the OpenVPN config directory and copy the remaining files over

Change History (1)

comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by Selva Nair

The import feature in the GUI is very rudimentary. It just allows you to copy an ovpn to the config directory. Patches to add a proper import functionality are most welcome.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.