Opened 9 years ago

Closed 7 years ago

#611 closed TODO (General task list) (notabug)

VyprVPN violates GPL

Reported by: ValdikSS Owned by: Samuli Seppänen
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

VyprVPN client bundle provides modified OpenVPN binary based on 2.3.4 version and modified TAP adapter driver based on NDIS5 version. There are no source codes on their website and support answered for the question where can I get source code that "Support does not have that information to provide".
Here is client bundle for Windows. After installation, you'll get TAP adapter called "TAP-VyprVPN Adapter V9". OpenVPN is modified to work with this custom adapter version.

Change History (8)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: set to Samuli Seppänen

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by ValdikSS

I communicated with the developers and have obtained the source release of the OpenVPN and TAP driver adapters. I've attached them in a zip file to this e-mail.

It isn't a common request, so I apologize for any inconvenience. Please let me know if you need any further assistance or have any other questions/concerns.

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by ValdikSS

The only difference between provided TAP source and original NDIS5 TAP source is in interface name. It's funny to see the changelog where they "improved error recovery" in TAP driver.
The same goes for provided OpenVPN source and OpenVPN v2.3.4. One line difference.

Waiting for Astrill to provide the source.

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Great work ValdikSS! I've approached a number of VPN providers in the past, requesting them to provide the OpenVPN sources. Typically they hand out the source code after they have been educated a bit. I believe VPN providers rarely make changes to the source code. I know of one exception, and that company has provided several useful patches back to the project.

comment:6 Changed 8 years ago by Gert Döring

close? valdikss said so on IRC, but since it's owned by samuli...

comment:7 Changed 8 years ago by ValdikSS

Yes please.

comment:8 Changed 7 years ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: notabug
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.