Comment:

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • Ticket #958, comment 5

v1 v2  
    1414I know this is all a bit vague and probably hard to debug. I was copying the passwords from a textfile that was created on Linux and then opened on a laptop running Windows. Could a hidden character trigger this bug? I was copying the password using STRG + A first because in theory there should have been no other content in the textfile except for the password itself.
    16 EDIT: I found the cause! There seems to be a hidden newline character in the textfile, even though it only contains the password. When opening the textfile on a Windows machine with the editor and marking its whole content using STRG + A, the blinking indicator moves to the next line. Copying and pasting this stalls the connection process reliably. Marking the password manually and then copying and pasting it doesn't stall it.
     16EDIT: I found the cause! There seems to be a hidden newline character in the textfile, even though it only contains the password. When opening the textfile on a Windows machine with the editor and marking its whole content using STRG + A, the blinking indicator moves to the next line. Copying and pasting this stalls the connection process of OpenVPN reliably. Marking the password manually and then copying and pasting it doesn't stall it.
    1818Is there some way to catch this case within the program? I'm still wondering though why gedit seems to place a newline character in there when the only content of the textfile is the password without anything after it.