id,summary,reporter,owner,description,type,status,priority,milestone,component,version,severity,resolution,keywords,cc 855,openvpn should check that there's a working TAP before even attempting to create a tunnel,jhaar,,"Hi there We've been having problems with running openvpn as a service. Under some still unknown circumstances (I suspect Cisco Anyconnect is involved), a working openvpn Windows install will suddenly find itself with a disabled TAP interface. What seems to happen is openvpn negotiates the tunnel successfully, and at the last moment starts interacting with the TAP interface - and fails. It then goes into a retry infinite loop (not sure if that's openvpn or the service manager we're using, but I *want* openvpn to auto-retry - except in this situation!). The problem is the valid client is looping and this causes a large load on the server - due to the vast range of scripts we call on ""--up"". This nails the server - which nails all other happy clients So my point is that I don't see why openvpn needs to let this happen. Couldn't openvpn be re-coded to check that there's a working TAP interface before even attempting to negotiate? ie if the TAP is disabled, then openvpn should just exit - it's never going to work - so why bother trying. I don't care if that leads to a load problem on the client - I just want to get the load off the server :-) Thanks Jason ",Bug / Defect,new,major,,Generic / unclassified,OpenVPN 2.3.9 (Community Ed),"Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer)",,,