Comment:

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • Ticket #577, comment 6

v1 v2  
    1 Socks Support would be a very, very elegant solution in my eyes, because this will work without admin/root privileges - both on the client and the server side. Docker isn't a real solution in most cases - its fairly a "beast" in comparation of a simple OpenVPN process. Additionally "real" virtual networks could be created which exists only in the applications - so no fiddling with routes, overlapping IP networks and so on. For example, a server application could connect on the socks server of OpenVPN bind on the IP 192.168.123.123, and a client application on another PC could connect to it, without having the IP anywhere on the system itself! Additionally, the Socks protocol is fairly easy, I think it could "dock" at the API which is used by the TUN support on the OpenVPN side fairly well.
     1Socks5 Support would be a very, very elegant solution in my eyes, because this will work without admin/root privileges - both on the client and the server side. Docker isn't a real solution in most cases - its fairly a "beast" in comparation of a simple OpenVPN process. Additionally "real" virtual networks could be created which exists only in the applications - so no fiddling with routes, overlapping IP networks and so on. For example, a server application could connect on the socks server of OpenVPN bind on the IP 192.168.123.123, and a client application on another PC could connect to it, without having the IP anywhere on the system itself! Additionally, the Socks protocol is fairly easy, I think it could "dock" at the API which is used by the TUN support on the OpenVPN side fairly well.
    33SSH can be used as a Socks-Server as well, yes, but SSH isn't optimized for this use case (e.g. the well known UDP over UDP problem)