Opened 9 years ago

Closed 15 months ago

#505 closed Bug / Defect (worksforme)

BSOD on Windows 8.1 client when issuing a ping with windows vista client software

Reported by: byggwir Owned by: Samuli Seppänen
Priority: critical Milestone: release 2.4
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN 2.3.6 (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: BSOD Windows 8.1 Client Ping
Cc: Samuli Seppänen

Description

I have a 100% reproducible bug on 2 different Windows 8.1 machines (up-to-date installations). Virus scanners are different: one is antivir the other bitdefender both the free versions.

Installed the following versions:

openvpn-install.2.3.6-I601-i686.exe
openvpn-install.2.3.6-I601-x86_64.exe
openvpn-install.2.3.4-I603-x86_64.exe
openvpn-install.2.3.4-I605-x86_64.exe

Note: all versions are tagged for Windows Vista or later in 32 or 64 bit. See below for working versions.

They all show the following behavior.
Reproducing steps:

1. Start OpenVPN GUI as Administrator
  2. connect to VPN (ips of VPN is 10.8...)
  3. open a cmd line (not as administrator - didn't test other)

issue a:

1. ping 192.xxx.xxx.xx
  • where the ip is lying on VPN side. A routing is configured to send it through VPN.
  1. -> Blue Screen (BSOD) immediately.

What version work:
The Versions tagged: Windows XP or later (all of them i tryed: 2.3.4. and 2.3.6 of 32bit and one of 64bit).

Info:
Server is a debian wheezy hosting the VPN. The server pinged to inside the VPN is a VM with Ubuntu 14.10
Pushes a route to clients sending request to the internal subnet of 192.x.x.x via VPN.
Windows Clients: No special set-up I know of. firewalls are active. Virus Scanners also.
One test was with deactivated client side firewall and deactivated virus scanner.
One test was with deactivated server side firewall.
All failed with the said versions.

Error message: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (ndis.sys)

Change History (7)

comment:1 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

Cc: Samuli Seppänen added

Is this also happening with the old NDIS driver (-I00x installer versions, not I60x)? It sounds like a bug in the NDIS6 driver...

Copying in samuli...

comment:2 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Is someone else suffering from this issue? If yes, we'll try to fix this a.s.a.p.

comment:3 Changed 9 years ago by byggwir

This is not happening with the -I00x installers. They are the only ones that work for me.
It could very well be an issue with the driver I guess. I have a third party tool for VPN that hangs up the pc as well once in a while with a BSOD and it distributes the same NDIS driver (but possibly uses openvpn in the background anyway).

I usually never ping over VPN. There is no need. So I never noticed this I guess (just the annoying BSOD of this 3rd party VPN provider which I tried to ignore). But this time I was testing my own server setup and it was consistently crashing very very badly. Testing the VPN server of the 3rd party provider had the same result.

comment:4 Changed 9 years ago by Gert Döring

samuli: do you have a windows 8.1 with OpenVPN on it to test this? I refuse to go near 8.x... but if it's really as simple as "ping over vpn" we should try to get it fixed :-)

comment:5 Changed 9 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Milestone: release 2.4
Owner: set to Samuli Seppänen

Cron2: I do. I'll try to reproduce this and get back.

comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by sarahtaylor

No diff for you, spammer!

Version 0, edited 5 years ago by sarahtaylor (next)

comment:7 Changed 15 months ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: worksforme

We have not received other reports of a simple ping-via-VPN triggering a BSOD on Win7, Win10 or later, so I'd classify this as "this windows system went sideways for unknown reasons". Not much we can do about it.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.