id summary reporter owner description type status priority milestone component version severity resolution keywords cc 346 Set tap device link status based on openvpn connection state András Korn "I would like to bond openvpn tap interfaces together using the Linux bonding driver with miimon style link detection. This doesn't easily work because tap devices are created being ""up"", and openvpn doesn't manage their link state. A possible workaround is to have {{{route-up}}} and {{{up}}} scripts that explicitly set the link state on the tap device (although in one case I had to use a {{{tls-verify}}} script because the {{{route-up}}} script was not called for some reason). However, it would be cleaner if OpenVPN could (optionally?) set the link state of the tap device as follows: * on startup: down * when connection fully established (peer authenticated), but before adding routes: up * connection failure or peer disconnect: down (Obviously this is less interesting for server mode but it would help a lot in 1:1 mode.) Alternatively, script hooks should be provided that can be used to set the tap link state as appropriate, so that I don't have to set the link ''down'' from an {{{up}}} script and set it ''uo'' from a {{{tls-verify}}} script (yuck :). " Feature Wish new minor Generic / unclassified OpenVPN 2.3.2 (Community Ed) Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) linux tap