Opened 11 years ago

Closed 22 months ago

#253 closed Feature Wish (wontfix)

Let me opt-out of l18n

Reported by: Dirkjan Ochtman Owned by: Selva Nair
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN 2.3-beta / 2.3-RC (Community Ed)
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

In #252, I get the error message in Dutch because the locale on my (64-bit Windows 7) system is set to Dutch. However, my language is set to en-US. I would much prefer OpenVPN doesn't try to match my locale or at least give me an option to opt out of it.

Change History (11)

comment:1 Changed 11 years ago by David Sommerseth

Owner: set to Heiko Hund

comment:2 Changed 11 years ago by Heiko Hund

Right click on the GUI tray icon. Go to "Settings… » General » User Interface" and select the language of your choice from there.

comment:3 Changed 11 years ago by Dirkjan Ochtman

Well, that doesn't work if I can't even start the GUI.

In particular, localized error messages suck a lot because they harm Googlability.

comment:4 Changed 11 years ago by Heiko Hund

I agree.

Additionally it puts more work on the translators because they have to do the error messages, which are hopefully mostly unseen, anyway.

In some future version the error reporting will be redone to present the actual error in English with some framing in the local language. Also automatic language selection will take the set display language into account.

comment:5 Changed 11 years ago by Dirkjan Ochtman

Awesome, thanks.

comment:6 Changed 10 years ago by Samuli Seppänen

Priority: majorminor

comment:7 Changed 10 years ago by Gert Döring

What version is our goal for this?

comment:8 Changed 10 years ago by Heiko Hund

Have not planned to work on this currently.

comment:9 Changed 5 years ago by alexwriter

I really doubt that this is your Windows, maybe you should have a firewall?

Version 0, edited 5 years ago by alexwriter (next)

comment:10 Changed 5 years ago by David Sommerseth

Owner: changed from Heiko Hund to Selva Nair

comment:11 Changed 22 months ago by Selva Nair

Resolution: wontfix
Type: Bug / DefectFeature Wish

This looks outdated. If the GUI cannot start and throws a localized error, the language can be changed in the registry: HKCU\Software\OpenVPN-GUI\ui_language -- set it to 1033 (decimal) for English. Not very user friendly, but hard to do better if the GUI fails to start and the default language or the one user has set is not what they want.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.