Opened 3 years ago

Closed 16 months ago

#1426 closed Bug / Defect (wontfix)

OpenVPN Connect macOS client tray icon stays in Dock

Reported by: gabrielmaldi Owned by: OpenVPN Inc.
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: Generic / unclassified Version: OpenVPN Connect for MacOS
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

The Dock icon is not hidden when closing the main window, even though the app uses a status bar icon.

This is a regression in 3.3.1 (4000), it worked correctly in 3.3.0 (3924).

Attachments (1)

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 00.35.46.png (15.8 KB) - added by gabrielmaldi 3 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (11)

Changed 3 years ago by gabrielmaldi

comment:1 Changed 2 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: set to OpenVPN Inc.

Hi,

OpenVPN Connect is a commercial product, not dealt with in the community trac.

I have assigned this to "OpenVPN Inc" and one of the colleagues will take it from here.

comment:2 Changed 2 years ago by Zic

Hi,

I can confirm this bug. It's very annoying to have a permanent icon for OpenVPN Connect in the Dock when you already have one in the StatusBar?.
It's been 5 weeks since the first report, have you any news on this?

Keep up the good work anyway, and thanks.

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by Robert Shaw

I can confirm this also happens for me on MacOS Big Sur with OpenVPN Connect Mac v3.3.1, but works properly with v3.3.0.

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by DominikRocek

Hi,
I confirm that this problem persists in OpenVPN Connect 3.3.2 (4125) on macOS Monterey 12.0.1.

I advocate a quick fix because the icon takes up space in Docker unnecessarily. All it takes is in the Tray bar.

Thank you!
Dominik Roček

comment:5 Changed 2 years ago by Robert Shaw

I can confirm this is still a problem with OpenVPN Connect 3.3.3 (4163) on macOS Monterey 12.1, but still works properly with v3.3.0.
When will this issue be fixed?

Last edited 2 years ago by Robert Shaw (previous) (diff)

comment:6 Changed 2 years ago by volanin

I registered in order to add a comment to this bug. It really bothers. OpenVPN 3.3.3 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 has this issue. Due to this I am still using the old 3.3.0 version. =(

comment:7 Changed 2 years ago by cory.klein.iterable

I recently was required to use OpenVPN Connect at work and this bothers me too. On macOS it is standard practice for applications that primarily have a Menubar presence to not be shown in the Dock while the app is not actively displaying any windows.

Please at least provide an option to remove the application from the dock!

comment:8 Changed 2 years ago by vojtechdobes

The behavior of the app is really ugly. In very convenient Mac setup where all apps are run in fullscreen mode, the app just sticks to one of them and obscures the view. By staying in the dock, it's easy to bump into it by less careful Cmd+Tab. Presence in the dock also simply clutters view as VPN client isn't app that you really "use". For sake of unhappy users, this should be fixed. The Mac client should behave like a Mac app.

Though *eight* months since first report don't give much hope.

comment:9 Changed 20 months ago by openinternet4all

I see this as a big blocker for me using this app as others have noted. I have attempted to use --minimize to launch the app without a dock icon however due to requiring a MFA code I need to use the gui which creates the dock icon that I cannot remove.

I understand it was removed to appeased some previous feedback regarding the expected default behaviour, however, this should be a toggle that the user is able to enable.

Looking forward to seeing this feature re-enabled soon :)

comment:10 Changed 16 months ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: wontfix

OpenVPN Inc does not want to receive any feedback for the "Connect"
OpenVPN clients via the community bug trackers (here and in GH issues).

Please resubmit - if still relevant - via https://support.openvpn.net/

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.