Opened 3 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

Last modified 2 years ago

#1415 closed Bug / Defect (notabug)

There already exists a config file named xxxx.ovpn. You cannot have multiple config files with the

Reported by: krish89 Owned by: Selva Nair
Priority: minor Milestone: release 2.5.3
Component: Windows GUI Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Hello
I has an issue with GUI. Everytime I restart my machine I get this error. I have 2 seperate vpns in the same config folder. Hence I get 2 pop ups with the names of 2 vpns.
I've read through many threads that reported this issue and none seem to have the same setting as mine. Please duplicate this ticket if so.

FYI:
I made sure in regedit and GUI advanced tab are the same.
I have a second OpenVPN folder under my user account but that's just to collect logs and there are no other folders or files in it.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by kitsune1

The only locations where the GUI looks for config files are the folder defined by the reg key HKLM/Software/OpenVPN/config_dir and the value of configuration files folder in the advanced tab of settings menu. Make sure those two values are not the same. Then Look at all ovpn files in those two folders and their sub folders for duplicates.

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by Selva Nair

I made sure in regedit and GUI advanced tab are the same.

If you mean you made what is in HKLM and advanced tab the same, that is a mistake. Leave such settings at their defaults (as installed) unless you know what you are doing. The value in HKLM as installed is C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config. What is in the advanced tab would be C:\Users\your-user-name\OpenVPN\config. Do not change either even if you are using only one of those locations. Its all supposed to work as installed. Making those two identical is inviting trouble.

The HKLM one is meant for configs that normal users are not supposed to edit, the user directory is for configs that the user can change without needing admin rights. They way to allow or disallow users from having private configs is controlled by membership in OpenVPNAdministrators group, not by editing those values.

That said, the latest GUI released with 2.5.3 (and, iirc, 2.5.2) will cope with identical values in HKLM and advanced tab. But it is still a misconfiguration. Older versions will show duplicate config warnings.

Last edited 3 years ago by Selva Nair (previous) (diff)

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by Gert Döring

Milestone: release 2.5.3
Resolution: notabug

comment:4 Changed 2 years ago by Gert Döring

Also this seems to be a duplicate of #1376 and #1359

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.