Opened 6 years ago

Closed 3 years ago

#1107 closed Bug / Defect (fixed-external)

OpenVPN not connecting on ios 12 public beta

Reported by: mbierman Owned by: OpenVPN Inc.
Priority: critical Milestone:
Component: OpenVPN Connect Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords:
Cc:

Description

Apologies for this duplicate but I couldn't edit the priority on the previously reported bug (1099)

Previously reported 1076 (​https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/ticket/1076) OpenVPN was disconnecting when switching to another app or the home screen.

Since then OpenVPN 3.0.0 (712) on the latest iOS 12 beta does not disconnect. However, even though OpenVPN shows a connection has been made, internet activity is blocked.
Preconditions:

• iOS 12 latest beta
  • OpenVPN 3.0.0

Steps:

1. Check internet connection is good.
  2. Start a connection via OpenVPN. Note the log shows connection is successful.
  3. Go to a browser or app, (e.g. SpeedTest?? or Facebook) and test the connection. All connections are blocked.
  4. Go back to OpenVPN observe the connection shows it is still connected.
  5. Close the VPN connection.
  6. Go back to the other app and see that you can now connect.

I just tried the 3.0.1 release on an iPad with the last iOS beta update and the problem remains. I made a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFyWUaDxcnU

Note that there is no incoming traffic through the VPN connection.

I just tried the 3.0.1 release on an iPad with today's iOS beta update and the problem remains. I made a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFyWUaDxcnU
Note that there is no incoming traffic through the VPN connection.

Change History (16)

comment:1 Changed 6 years ago by Antonio Quartulli

Component: Generic / unclassifiedOpenVPN Connect
Owner: set to yuriy

comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by smelendro

This is also appears to be affecting iOS 11.4.1.

comment:3 Changed 5 years ago by mbierman

Problem persists in iOS 12.1 beta 1

comment:4 Changed 5 years ago by mbierman

Problem persists in iOS 12.1 beta 3 released today.

comment:5 Changed 5 years ago by novaflash

There are some reasons why traffic could be blocked. If you submit a support ticket to ios@ openvpn.net (requires registration on openvpn.net) and post the support ticket ID number here, I'll contact you there directly and run a test with you to see if this really is a problem in our app, or just a config mistake.

Last edited 5 years ago by novaflash (previous) (diff)

comment:6 Changed 5 years ago by smelendro

Thanks created YTY-688-96767 for this.

comment:7 Changed 5 years ago by novaflash

I have had contact with smelendro about this issue, and in his case, connecting to one of our test servers, worked perfectly fine. So it is something to do with the server side, some configuration option being wrong, not sure yet. It does not seem to be a bug on the client side to be honest.

comment:8 Changed 5 years ago by smelendro

Confirmed. My issue YTY-688-96767 appears to be configuration related. I have found an intermediate Firmware Version in my router that appears to be working correctly. Thanks for the help.

comment:9 Changed 5 years ago by mbierman

OK I will submit a ticket and see if we can rule out a configuration issue. This set up did used to work so I was pretty sure it wasn't configuration related. Thanks.

comment:10 Changed 5 years ago by novaflash

It might still be configuration related, or it might still be a bug. It has to be investigated. But we see a lot of weird configurations out there, and some just don't make any sense, and you may just get 'lucky' and that it works due to some assumptions made here and there. And then when changes are made and those assumptions change, things break, because the configuration is just not well defined. So let's indeed do a test and see if your client works with a standard server and move from there.

comment:11 Changed 5 years ago by mbierman

Can you clarify what you mean by ios@ openvpn.net? How do I get some help verifying if this is a configuration issue or a client bug?

Were you referring to the iOS Discussion board?

Last edited 5 years ago by mbierman (previous) (diff)

comment:12 Changed 5 years ago by mbierman

I was eventually able to solve the problem. It was a combination of things so we can close this.

One thing that made it difficult was the logging was fairly high level in the iOS client. Is there a way to specify what level of detail you want logged?

Many thanks.

Last edited 5 years ago by mbierman (previous) (diff)

comment:13 Changed 5 years ago by johnnydel

Great thread a lot of information... eventually solved my problem of configuration

comment:14 Changed 3 years ago by Gert Döring

Owner: changed from yuriy to denys

comment:15 Changed 3 years ago by OpenVPN Inc.

Owner: changed from denys to OpenVPN Inc.

This ticket was resolved long ago but was left open by accident. Closing ticket now.

comment:16 Changed 3 years ago by OpenVPN Inc.

Resolution: fixed-external
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.