Here is the exchange on the Tunnelblick Discussion Group: ================== Wolfgang: " upgraded OS X to Lion and Tunnelblick to the latest beta 3.2.beta26 Normal operation is fine for me (direct connections to OpenVPN server). However, when I try to connect to one of our customers I have to use a socks server (to get the outgoing ip address right). This worked fine before. Now the openVPN sends a username to the socks server (cmd@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), but our socks server does not need / alowes for one. In the OpenVPN change log (http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/change-log/425-changelog-for-openvpn-22.html) I found Pierre Bourdon (1): Adding support for SOCKS plain text authentication I need to switch of the transfer of the user name. In my config file no user name is given. From the Log: 2011-07-21 16:13:49 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1311257629,TCP_CONNECT,,, 2011-07-21 16:13:50 *Tunnelblick: Flushed the DNS cache 2011-07-21 16:13:50 TCP connection established with xx.xx.xx.xxx:1080 2011-07-21 16:13:50 socks_handshake: server asked for username/login auth but we were not provided any credentials 2011-07-21 16:13:50 TCP/UDP: Closing socket 2011-07-21 16:13:50 SIGTERM[soft,init_instance] received, process exiting Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance! Best, Wolfgang" ================== jkbull...gmail.com: If this is caused by a change in OpenVPN, you could try using an older version of OpenVPN with the latest version of Tunnelblick. Tunnelblick should work with any OpenVPN version of 2.0 and higher, but I recommend you use the latest version that doesn't cause this problem. The OpenVPN binary in any version of Tunnelblick is located in Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/ and is named openvpn. You can just replace it with an older version from an older version of Tunnelblick. (You can see inside a Tunnelblick.app doing a Control-click on it and selecting "Show Package Contents".) If you know what version of Tunnelblick you upgraded from, try the OpenVPN contained in it. Otherwise, here's a list of versions of Tunnelblick and the versions of OpenVPN that they contain: Tunnelblick 3.2beta24 uses OpenVPN 2.2.1 Tunnelblick 3.2beta10 uses OpenVPN 2.2 Tunnelblick 3.1beta22 uses OpenVPN 2.1.4 <----------- This is your best bet -- it is before the SOCKS change you mentioned Tunnelblick 3.1beta14 uses OpenVPN 2.1.3 Tunnelblick 3.0b26 uses OpenVPN 2.1.1 Tunnelblick 3.0b22 uses OpenVPN 2.1_rc20 Tunnelblick 3.0b16 uses OpenVPN 2.1_rc19 Tunnelblick 3.0b10 uses OpenVPN 2.1_rc15 ================== Wolfgang: Thanks a lot. after downloading the recommended version I copied the included files Installer/Contents/Resources/ - openvpn - openvpn-down.so - openvpn.conf to /Applications/Tunnelblick/Contents/Resources and now it works perfectly. Thanks a lot for the hint. Performing a full downgrade of Tunnelblick was not an option with Lion. ================== jkbull...gmail.com: I'm glad its working for you now. And good catch about openvpn-down-root.so. That should be copied. It isn't necessary to copy openvpn.conf, though -- it is just a sample configuration file, not used for connecting. And, for anyone reading this thread, do not copy openvpnstart.