Opened 8 years ago

Closed 15 months ago

#619 closed Feature Wish (wontfix)

Android: please add Tasker plugin interface to OpenVPN Connect

Reported by: dhdurgee Owned by: OpenVPN Inc.
Priority: major Milestone:
Component: OpenVPN Connect Version:
Severity: Not set (select this one, unless your'e a OpenVPN developer) Keywords: android plugin
Cc:

Description

I have installed and am using OpenVPN Connect (Android) on my LG Intuition VS-950 Jelly Bean phone to secure my communications when I am connected at a public WiFi? hot spot. I am happy with the app, but at present using it is a manual process.

I have installed Tasker on my phone as well and am hoping to use it to automate several things. One of them would be to automate use of OpenVPN Connect (Android) by opening the tunnel automatically when I am successfully connected to a WiFi? hot spot other than my home network and to close the tunnel automatically when such a connection is dropped.

The easiest way to accomplish this would be from a tasker plugin. There is in fact a plugin available for this, but it works only with the OpenVPN for Android app.

Given that OpenVPN Connect (Android) is the official version I would prefer to use it as opposed to replacing it with another app, especially as I see some problem reports with the other app.

You can see the plugin for the other client here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ffrog8.openVpnTaskerPlugin

Change History (5)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by Gert Döring

Component: Generic / unclassifiedOpenVPN Connect
Owner: set to jamesyonan

There is not "the" official version - there is OpenVPN Connect, which is the commercially supported version from OpenVPN Tech, and OpenVPN for Android, which is the community supported version. Both are official versions, but maintained by different people and based on a different code base (3.x vs. 2.x git master) - which brings different strengths and weaknesses to each.

Since you're posting in the community trac, the supported version *here* is "OpenVPN for Android" anyway...

So, please try the community version, and if it has issues, please report :-)

comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by Antonio Quartulli

Owner: changed from jamesyonan to Antonio Quartulli

comment:3 Changed 6 years ago by Antonio Quartulli

Summary: please add Tasker plugin interface to OpenVPN Connect (Android)Android: please add Tasker plugin interface to OpenVPN Connect
Version: OpenVPN 2.2.2 (Community Ed)

comment:4 Changed 3 years ago by Antonio Quartulli

Owner: changed from Antonio Quartulli to OpenVPN Inc.

comment:5 Changed 15 months ago by Gert Döring

Resolution: wontfix

OpenVPN Inc does not want to receive any feedback for the "Connect"
OpenVPN clients via the community bug trackers (here and in GH issues).

Please resubmit - if still relevant - via https://support.openvpn.net/

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.